Thursday, November 15, 2012

"and there is always something there to remind me..."

“No matter how close we are to another person, few human relationships are as free from strife, disagreement, and frustration as is the relationship you have with a good dog. Few human beings give of themselves to another as a dog gives of itself. I also suspect that we cherish dogs because their unblemished souls make us wish - consciously or unconsciously - that we were as innocent as they are, and make us yearn for a place where innocence is universal and where the meanness, the betrayals, and the cruelties of this world are unknown.”
Dean Koontz, A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog




     On our return from a walk one humid afternoon, I grabbed a left over slice of pizza from the fridge. Maddie followed me upstairs in full dogie "food alert" mode, nose sniffing, spaniel fanny swaying. The slice was on a napkin and teetered on the edge of my nightstand. Next to the napkin sat my trusty open laptop computer. As I stepped away briefly to check my phone, Maddie's front paws balanced her furry frame on the nightstand. She swung around victorious, her face full of crust. Unfortunately, as she turned one paw slipped and down to the floor the laptop crashed. Oh, she got her pizza alright and now I type on a computer that's missing it's shift and enter keys. The enter key is a small white button now and forget about the right side shift key.
 Every time I use my keyboard she is a constant reminder. So that is why I will NEVER get it fixed.

1 comment:

  1. Writing is a great way to help heal the soul. I look forward to hearing more stories, whether they be about Maddie, dogs, or our wonderful family. Your writing is an inspiration to me. I only hope I can be as creative, caring and loving as you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete